Monday, November 06, 2006

Some Self-Reflection

So we're sitting in the library and Ben reaches over to hold my hand and I look into his gorgeous blue eyes (there's nothing sexier than a man with blue eyes and dark hair) and I think to myself "what am I doing?" Ben's a great guy but he's just recently broken up with girlfriend and I've just recently ended the game I've been playing with a guy for over a year and here I am ready to jump back in. As I sat there listening to him talk about why Mathematics is the hardest major and how his teacher doesn't know anything, it struck me that I couldn't be less interested (in both the subject and him). Going with that train of thought I realized for the first time in a long time I'm not interested in anyone. There have been a couple of guys who were in the back of my mind, thought of as candidates, but as I dated each one mentally (it's a lot easier to date guys mentally than to have to put up with the real thing) I realized they're just not what I'm looking for because, right now, I'm not looking for anything. I think the pressure girls feel to have to be with someone (anyone) causes more panic and heartache than anything else. I get asked fairly often if am married or seeing someone and whenever I say no it's like I've failed a test. People at work keep joking that there must be someone new and that's why I'm all "fancied up" recently. I think it's sad that I can't want to do it for myself and have people accept that. If I wanted some random guy to full a void I doubt I'd have any difficulty in accomplishing that but right now I'm great on my own.

Thank You Very Much!!

4 comments:

kristin said...

yeah!!! like, nothing specific to add, but I can remember having many of these thoughts not that long ago.

I have never felt that pressure to date someone anyone or else, atleast I've never caved to the pressure if I did have it... but I am waiting for The One so...

hahaha just kiddin dude.

Cristina Gomes said...

I still believe one day we will all realize that we are were to live our best life... The others are here to help us to live our greatest life, and find all the magic that´s inside of us...

Keep strong in all this process!

Kisses

Anonymous said...

when my former boyfriend and i broke up, i was single for sometime and i think everyone sort of expected me to start dating again so soon after. sure i liked a guy or 2 but i felt i needed time to be single and to enjoy it before i commit to another relationship.

Suzy said...

Its kind of crazy that other people date in their minds! And here I thought I was unique sniff sniff. But I feel ya, u can date a guy in ur mind, get tired of him, dump him without him ever knowing it and u've done an amazing screening process without any heartaches. Now I am proud to say I didn't waste time dating idiots in real life - I figured out they were idiots while dating them in my head and the most beautiful part of it is that they weren't even involved with the process, in their minds we were buddies nothing else. Its funny I wonfder how many people do that?