Thursday, September 21, 2006

Moving On Up

I've got a new job!!!

One of my favourite parts of getting this new job is the reaction of my fellow co-workers. Here's why:

In our workplace they hold "competitions" for almost any job that becomes available. The screwy thing is that someone could have been performing the job for years but not hold it permanently (acting in a position). Therefore, although they've proven themselves in the position, they must still compete for it. The competition process is first you apply, then get screened-in, complete some sort of psychology or general knowledge test, complete a knowledge test on the aspects of the specific job and finally you attend an interview. Now, I understand that all systems have flaws, but due to the design of the process it can be difficult for many people who haven't had to study or write a test in years. For those of us still in school or just out of it you simply make a study schedule and stick to it. It isn't easy or fun but if you want to go anywhere it's what you have to do.

So, it boils down to this I got the job when many more experienced, knowledgeable people were unable to pass the first test. Some people will say congratulations, shake your hand or give you a pat on the back when they hear the news and some truly do mean it. However, what I like best are the truly honest people, the ones who ask if you got the job and then say "oh" or "you must be happy" because their not willing congratulate you or say something they really don't mean.

By getting the position does that mean I'm more qualified or capable of performing the job? Not necessarily, all it means is that I'll have to prove myself when the time comes that I must start fulfilling all of the obligations of the new position. It's a challenge I look forward to and will talk more about.

No comments: