Tuesday, February 13, 2007

My Funny Valentine

Not my favourite holiday…
There are a number of things wrong with the Valentine's Day Holiday. First and foremost a day off is not involved (what's the point of a holiday with no day off (Easter gets bonus points for two days off). Secondly, it sets people up for disappointment. Those in a relationship often do not have their expectations met and those not in a relationship obsesses over not being in a relationship and plan the dreaded anti-valentine day party (possibly the stupidest thing ever invented (a bunch of desperate, depressed people gathered together under the guise of misery loves company). Thirdly, why wait for a certain day to let someone know you love them and I'm sure there are much better ways to express love other than a box of chocolates or some flowers (I personally advocate the "I was thinking about you" phone call or email on a regular basis (however, if any man wished to express his love for me in the form of a 2.5 carat, d colour, internally flawless, brilliant cut, platinum set diamond ring I wouldn't object)). Finally, the poor, forgetful, significant other, it's bad enough we have to remember birthdays and anniversaries to throw in V-Day is just mean (My B-day March 29th (If you’re a faithful reader you'll no doubt see many reminders in the coming month). I often can't recall how I made it to work in the morning or what I had for breakfast to expect me to remember V-Day is just unreasonable. And the little reminders I set up never seem to help, there appears to be a gene in my family that makes us unable to remember events on the day they actually occur (We all remember my parents anniversary is August 25th yet every single year we fail (forget) to acknowledge on the actual day (someone always remembers the next day)).

So just in case I forget to say it tomorrow (which I'm certain I will)

Happy Valentine's Day

1 comment:

Cristina Gomes said...

I do also think that Valentine´s Day has something wrong :o)
First of all, i think that it´s just a way of people spend money in stuff that don´t really matters!!
A pillow with a heart or two, saying i love you!!?? baahh
There are so many things of saying i love you... showing love to other persons... do we forgot all that?