Wednesday, April 04, 2012

A wee bit busy...

So this morning I got to experience the "full Scottish breakfast". It includes just about everything you could think of - eggs, sausage, bacon, toast, potato scones, hash browns, beans, tomatoes, etc... What I couldn't understand after eating breakfast is the shortage of fat Scottish people. This mystery was quickly solved as they walk everywhere and its all hills and valleys. I haven't yet seen a drive through anything.
o

We ended up going on three of the bus tours today. Why Edinburgh has something like 6 bus tours, 5 run by the same company, makes no sense to me. By the time we got on the third tour I probably could have hosted the tour. We got to see all the touristy sights like Edinburgh Castle, Parliament, the Holyrood Palace and went up to Leith. I've inherited my dad's love of the water and boats, so checking out the Royal Yacht Britannia was cool. When nobody was looking I thought it would be fun to have a seat in the queens drawing room. Sue brought it to my attention that after that we had a staff member follow us in every room we went into.


We were actually suppose to go see Rosslyn Chapel today, but as Sue had almost a complete mental breakdown driving yesterday, she said she's not getting back in the car until were leaving.

I still haven't had a proper Scottish meal. Yesterday we went to a pub and I tried to order bangers and mash - no luck, so I asked for a meat pie - again no luck. So I ended up with friggin lasagna, which was gross. Some how today again I had Italian. I'm determined to have some real Scottish food tomorrow.

To end today we toured an underground city called, Mary King's Close. A Close is an old street in Edinburgh and since it's illegal to live underground in Scotland, when parts of the city were being rebuilt many of the Closes ended up underground and some were preserved quite well. Its interesting how much the Close reminded me of my cubicle. No sunlight, small, cramped, dreary, depressing, I think it even has the same light blue/gray walls. At least now I know that me and 17th century Scottish people have something in common.