Thursday, November 22, 2012

My thoughts on... my Nonno


My grandpa past away recently and I seem to keep finding him in the strangest places. I'll hear his smile in someone's voice or see his twinkle in someone else's eye. I never realized how much I was going to miss him. I think what hurt the most was pulling up to the front porch the first day and realizing that I'd never find him waiting there for me again.

I always knew that I was going to have to be the one to say the eulogy, because has much as he may not have been the perfect husband or father, he really excelled at being a grandpa. It never struck me how draining the experience would be, but I slept right through the 2 days following his funeral. This is what I had to say about my grandpa Joe...


If there was a saying that could express the way my Grandpa lived it would be "eat, drink and be merry."

Grandpa was a man with many names, to some he was Pa or PaPooch to others he was Zio Pep, Giuseppe, Joe, Mr. Joe, but we always just called him Grandpa.


My Grandpa was never happier than when he was surrounded by family.


I've heard a lot of memories being shared of how people remember his laugh or his smile.  How much he enjoyed dancing or the basil leaf smell he had.  I personally will remember his singing and whistling and his love of Old Spice.  Some Christmas' I think it was the only present he looked forward to!


My Grandpa was a very loving man, who always wanted to make sure everyone was taken care of.  From when I was little Grandpa was always trying to sneak me a glass of wine or a bottle of beer.


I know that Grand had a special place in his heart for all his grandchildren.  We all got to be his special star at one point or another.  Antonio and I were first, with me on Grandpa's right side and Antonio on the left for every family dinner.  Next came Julia, Grandpa's garden helper, he loved his garden almost as much as he loved us.  Next was Sara, I don't think I ever heard him call her anything but his star.  Sadly, he used to steal her nose all the time and I think he forgot to give it back.  Finally Adam, I've never seen Grandpa happier than when he saw his male grandson, the one that would carry on the Di Tomasso name. Grandpa used to make sure we never left the house without a kinder egg, a pack of cookies and a $20 bill.


We all knew that we were loved and we loved him so much in return. 


Grandpa being the eldest child felt a special connection to all his siblings, nieces and nephews.  Whenever relatives would come over he'd have us run for a bottle of beer and make sure everyone was looked after.  He loved to spend time with family and always wanted to know when we were coming next.  Whenever you would say bye he would be quick to say "okay, I'll see you tomorrow!"


Grandpa was quite the charmer, he was always trying to make someone laugh or smile. He'd pull out his asthma puffer and asked if anyone minded if he had a smoke with a big grin on his face.  


Grandpa was a fixture on his front porch.  I can barely think of a time we'd pull up and not find him sitting there, he loved the outdoors.  He took great pride in his garden.  All of us had a turn at picking fruit from the trees.  Mom often talks of going fishing with Grandpa.  Winter, summer, spring or fall he loved to be outside.


The immediate family would like to express our appreciation to everyone that was a part of Grandpa's life, especially the family, friends and neighbours.  Thank you for all the support and kind words that have helped us through the last few days.  As we looked over the pictures that brought back great memories, what will stick with me most is that great smile that Grandpa had and the love he shared.


Thank you Grandpa!














No comments: