Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Another Broken Rule

My grandmother was the one who always said don't talk to strangers, but for some reason I just can't help it. It's so easy to talk to a stranger, you can tell them your whole life story and it doesn't matter if they judge you or if you feel you've shared too much as in all likelihood you'll never see that person again. I've had so many people confide in me all sorts of secret hopes, dreams, challenges and opportunities and I've confided in many of them. In general they are very supportive a lot offered guidance and if they can assistance. It's always interesting because you never know where the conversation will lead you. Some people have the most amazing lives and to think if I'd never taken the imitative, I'd have never met the truck driver who was missing his daughter because he and his wife were separated. Or, the cab driver who's also a prince and thinks I look like a singer from his country. Or, the cleaning lady at the Hilton who's husband had suffered a stroke and she had no one else to talk to. Or, the lady who couldn't stop smiling because she'd just found out she was going to have a daughter. All these stories, some of which would never have been told, if I decided to follow the rules.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've wondered about this.. someday when I have my own children, I don't want them talking to strangers and yet I want them to be sociable, to learn how to be open to others..how do I do that??

kristin said...

there's a new school of thought that it's actually not always a good thing to teach kids not to. because you don't want to instill fear beyond the necessary caution. I don't know all of the details, but basically you teach them to see social cues of who is okay to speak to. obviously the same rules about not going anywhere with them would apply... i hope...

kristin said...

but on marie seda's point... there are some beautiful moments shared with strangers. beautiful moments that are the seed of a new friendship sometimes! good post.