Wednesday, October 24, 2007

queer eye for the wizarding guy


I'm a huge Harry Potter fan; I even took a college course on the wizarding novels. I've been in the line ups for the books and movies and finished the majority of the books usually within a day. I have to admit that I’m not completely surprised J.K. Rowling outed Dumbledore. If you read the final book in the series Harry Potter and the deathly hallows there were a couple of passages that would indicate that Dumbledore might be waving the rainbow coloured flag come gay pride weekend. I think what bothers me about her decision to out Dumbledore is that it added nothing to the story. The fact that Dumbledore is gay adds no value to the plot or his character development. Dumbledore as with the majority of the professor at Hogwarts were always asexual. Digging into their personal lives seemed unimportant. We didn't care if McGonagall had husband and kids or had previously been employed as a stripper or if Trelawney was widowed and had 6 dead husbands or was addicted to crack and developed a heroin problem. What mattered to the reader is how those characters were able to assist Harry and the affect they had on his life. To be honest I’m a little disappointed that Rowling felt the need to share that part of Dumbledore’s life with us. I'm sure next she'll be telling us that Voldemort was really Harry’s father.

No comments: